January 17 Featured Speaker: Steve Parton
The featured presenter will be Westport portrait painter, Steve Parton. He will speak about his career path, his method, and his painting technique, and will also demonstrate his painting process.
Steve was born in England and grew up in Brooklyn. He began drawing as a young child, attended Brooklyn Museum art classes, went on to the High School of Art and Design and the Art Students League of New York. He then attended the School of Visual Arts on a scholarship. In his senior year, he was recruited to work on the last animated feature film to be made in New York, Raggedy Ann and Andy.
Steve’s design work in film and animation encompasses feature films, documentaries, Broadway musicals, television commercials, HBO and MTV. He created illustrations for two episodes of Bill Moyers’ Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth. His illustrations have also appeared in The New York Times, Rolling Stone, Fortune, and many other periodicals, as well as in children’s books and on book jackets. Paramount Pictures hired him to paint portraits of celebrities, including Jack Nicholson.
Steve paints in oils in a traditional Renaissance manner, which involves underpainting and transparent glazes. He teaches at Silvermine and Westport Continuing Ed and gives private art lessons. His memberships include the Portrait Society of America, the Society of Illustrators, and many other groups. He has exhibited in many venues in New York and Connecticut and has received many awards for his work.
Following the presentation there will be refreshments and a viewing of any artwork brought to the meeting by members.
January Member News
- Deirdre sold 4 paintings at the Wilton Library Winter Show
- ALICE sold a painting she had on exhibit at Art/Place. She has 2 other artworks now in the Member show there and 2 in Independence Hall.
- Send your news to Alice at email@example.com Please include address of place, dates of reception and show
Shows & Calls for Entry
- INDEPENDENCE HALL FCAA member show until 1/11 weekdays. There are 50 artworks on 2 floors.
- WILTON LIBRARY FCAA WINTER show January 2-25 http://www.wiltonlibrary.org/
- ART/PLACE GALLERY “Year In, Year Out”, artworks by all members until 2/4. See www.artplacegallery.org. or call 646-258-691270 Sanford St, Fairfield.
- KERSHNER GALLERY “Pencil, Brush, and Needle”, art by Barbara Sfera, Susan Spivack, and Dick Rauh until 1/21. Fairfield Library, 1080 Old Post Rd. 203-256-3155 www.fairfieldpubliclibrary.org