April’s Featured Speaker: Jeffrey Starkes
The featured presenter will be West Haven artist, Jeffrey Starkes. He will talk about and show paintings that trace his transition from a watercolor realist to an abstract oil painter and he will share the insights and obstacles he encountered on his artistic journey.
Eight years ago, Jeff sought a new means of expressing his thoughts and feelings, and became an abstract painter. He says, “I started out painting from life and ended up painting about life, learning a lot about myself in the process.” His abstract paintings address patterns of human behavior and the balance between logic and emotions using a combination of hard-edged geometric patterns and randomly arranged torn or amorphous shapes. He uses a highly colored palette and transparency to create the illusion of layered depth.
Jeff has a BFA degree from Paier College of Art and is a member artist at Art/Place Gallery in Fairfield. Throughout a long career as an art director and graphic designer, he also painted works in watercolor. His recent work has been displayed at galleries and exhibitions throughout Connecticut, including a solo show at the DaSilva Gallery in New Haven and in group shows in Chester, West Hartford, Fairfield and New Haven. He is in an upcoming three-person show opening on April 15 in the Kershner Gallery at the Fairfield Public Library.
Following the presentation there will be refreshments and a viewing of any artwork brought to the meeting by members.
February Member News
- Joel won “Best in Show” at Rowayton Art Center “Beyond Brushwork” Exhibit last month and an Honorable Mention at Rowayton in the current “Inspiration” Exhibit. He currently has a solo exhibit at the Weston Senior Center. And was just juried into the 84th Hudson Vally Art Association Show at the Salmagundi Club in NYC next month.
- Marjorie had work in Ridgefield Guild juried photo show, in Ridgefield Art Center juried show, and this month in Weston Library.
- Paul sold a painting at the Easton Arts Council winter show.
- Eve, Lee, Karin, Adair, Judy all had work in the BRAG show 3/25-4/4 at the Schelfhaudt Gallery at University of Bridgeport.
- Alice will have work there 4/6-16 as part of the University of Bridgeport alumni show.
- Adair, Karin talked about their art to students in Bridgeport schools for Bridgeport Arts Count Day, 3/22.
- Gail has work on 4/6-8 in Westport Collective art show at Westport Arts Council.
- Karin has a painting in Firehouse Gallery in Milford.
Shows & Calls for Entry
ART/PLACE GALLERY Two Views, Oil paintings by new members, Elizabeth Higgins and Jeffrey Starkes until February 5.
KERSHNER GALLERY The Power of Color, show from 81 area artists until 2/19. Fairfield Library, 1080 Old Post Rd. 203-256-3155 www.fairfieldpubliclibrary.org