February’s Featured Speaker: Michael Brennecke
The featured presenter will be Westport abstract painter, Michael Brennecke. He will project images of his work, will show a brief chronology of his own matriculation from a young would-be seascape painter to an abstract painter.
Michael went to the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and he has a BFA from Tufts University. He has taken additional courses at SVA and Parsons in NYC. His memberships include Silvermine Guild, Rowayton Arts Center, The Carriage Barn, Ridgefield Guild of Artists and the Westport Artists Collective. He shows frequently with all of these.
When Michael attended art school, he did representational art but says he felt more comfortable with the freedom of visual expression achievable in abstraction.That is the basis of his current work. He says he does not prefer to have his paintings be impressions of either landscape or figuration and wants viewers to project their own ideas onto his paintings. When he works on a painting, he says, “If something seems to emerge, I can choose to ignore it, proceed with it or even deliberately eradicate it. There are continuous forks in the road, working this way. It’s simultaneously stimulating, exciting, frustrating and sometimes ultimately, gratifying. And there are often dead ends.”
Following the presentation there will be refreshments and a viewing of any artwork brought to the meeting by members.
February Member News
- Deirdre sold 4 paintings at the Wilton Library Winter show.
- Jason sold a painting at the Wilton Library Winter show
Shows & Calls for Entry
- Wilton Library: FCAA Guild Winton Show, Until January 25, 2018
- ART/PLACE GALLERY “Year In, Year Out”, artworks by all members continues until 2/4. See www.artplacegallery.org. or call 646-258-691270 Sanford St, Fairfield.
- KERSHNER GALLERY “Movement”, Community art show Fairfield Library, 1080 Old Post Rd. 203-256-3155 www.fairfieldpubliclibrary.org
Meeting Dates for FCAA presentations…all Wednesdays at Roger Ludlowe Middle School
- Jan 17 Steve Parton oil portraits (Library)
- Feb 21 Michael Brennecke, abstract painting (Library)
- Mar 21 Katya Lebrija acrylic painting (Team Rm 292)
- Apr 18 Katheryn Gray landscapes (Team Rm 292)
- May 16 Marjorie Poe Chinese brush painting (Team Rm 292)
- June 6 Antonia Tye Peeples ocean waves (Team Rm 292)