MEETING LOCATION UPDATE: The first meeting will be Wednesday, September 14 at 7 to 9 pm.
From now on, September 2016 to June 2017, FCAA will have meetings in the Roger Ludlowe Middle School Library, This is good news for presenters and for members because no walking is involved after you park the car. You go to the ramp at the main entrance, and on the right, enter the side door of the library without having to go into the rest of the building.
Come and meet our new President Terri Singer. Terri is a Fairfield retiree who recently moved here from Michigan. Come to the meeting and say hello!
Our featured presenter will be Norwalk artist Norman Siegel, discussing his photorealist and trompe l’oeil oil paintings. See his attached: “Louis Bleriot at the First Paris Air Show, 1909”.
Norm graduated from High School of Industrial Art, now called Art & Design, and Cooper Union. Inspired in sixth grade by some of the art he saw led to his later selling illustrations of monsters for the cover of a magazine, and much later on, working as an art director at various advertising agencies. He is still active in advertising and graphic design.
In a career spanning over 40 years, he has won most every award in the industry and has three commercials in the permanent collection of the Paley Center. When not art directing, he paints in the style that first inspired him back in the sixth grade. He says that most of his subjects satisfy that kid in him that loves all things having to do with aviation and astronomy.
In 2000, Norm joined the American Society of Aviation Artists and a few years later, the Air Force Art Program. Both have given him the opportunity to have his work exhibited in the many aviation museums throughout the country and to be part of the their permanent collections and those of the Pentagon and the United States Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. The Air Force Art Program has also given him the opportunity to fly in many of our latest, hottest and biggest aircraft..
His Awards include “The Star of Excellence” from Lockheed Martin, and Aviation Week magazine’s “Best of The Best” award, 2011. Norm is presently a member of the Westport Art Center Collective and Area Artists.com in Connecticut. Almost thirty of his aerospace paintings are on exhibit at The Discovery Museum and Planetarium in Bridgeport through the end of December.
After thepresentation, which includes time to ask Norm questions, members attending may show one original work for group feedback.
Future Meetings. These are all on a Wednesday but not necessarily the 2nd week of the month, due to limitations set by the school activities and closings:
Oct 19 RLMS DONNA BRIEN free expression
Nov 9 RLMS DMITRI WRIGHT painting
Dec 1 Independence Hall show and reception, no meetings
Jan show continues, no meeting
Feb 8 RLMS TRACE BURROUGHS digital art
Mar 8 RLMS not filled yet
April 5 RLMS NANCY MOORE painting
May 3 RLMS MICHELE HUBER FCAA member, stylus paintings on computer
June 14 RLMS not filled yet
July Ice Cream Social
- Perkins Gallery, Reception for show of last year’s art show winners, 8/31 at 5-7 pm. Show 9/1-20. Pequot Library, 720 Pequot Ave, Southport. 259-0346. www.pequotlibrary.org
- Loft Artists Association, “Lost and Found” show 9/8-10/2 at 575 Pacific Street, Stamford. www.loftartists.com
- Stamford Art Association Faber Birren national color award show, 9/25-10/27, Townhouse Gallery, 39 Franklin St.
- Stamford Art Association reception for “Structures and Patterns” juried show 9/15 at 6-8 pm. Show 9/11-1/19. Ferguson Library, 39 Franklin Street 203-325-1139 www.stamfordartassociation.org
- Art/Place Gallery Now and Then, all-member show celebrating 35 years of creativity. Until 8/28. www.artplacegallery.org 70 Sanford St, Fairfield 292-8328
- Kershner Gallery, Reception for Earth and Beyond, photos by Fran Gallogly and paintings by Eric Chiang, 8/20 at 4:30-6:30 pm. Show until 9/25. Fairfield Library www.fairfieldpubliclibrary.org 256-3155
- Firehouse Gallery, Light and Shadow until 9/16. 81 Naugatuck Ave, Milford
- Lockwood-Matthews Mansion Reception for Coney Island: Visions from the Boardwalk by Gail Ingis-Claus, 9/8 at 5:30-7:30 pm. $10 adults, $8 seniors. On until 9/30, 295 West Ave, Norwalk.
- Flinn Gallery reception for “Power of Observation” 8/11 at 6-8 pm, show 8/7-28. Greenwich Library, 101 W. Putnam Ave. www.greenwichartsociety.org
- Tibetan Center for Universal Peace Paint Out exhibit and auction, 9/10 at 2-3 pm, 30 Putnam Park Rd, Redding. www.dnkldharma.orgRSVP to: email@example.com .
- Ridgefield Guild juried show 9/21-10/23, reception 9/24 at 4-6 pm, www.rgoa.org 34 Halpin Lane. 438-8863.
- Firehouse Gallery reception for Splash of Color 8/29, show until 10/28. 81 Naugatuck Ave, Milford. www.milfordarts.org 203-878-6647.
- Milford Arts Association Photo Expo until 9/22. 40 Railroad Ave. www.milfordarts.org 203-878-6647.